Chinzei Tandai (office of the military governor of Kyushu) was established in Hakata under the rule of Kamakurabakufu, after preventing the second attack of Mongolian fleets to prepare against the third. The facility also acted like a summary court. It also enabled gokenin, government officials involved in security against foreign countries, to settle landownership conflicts without traveling to the central government which is located in Kamakura. (Kamakura is now Kanagawa prefecture.) The Chinzei Tandai office is supposed to be located around the area near Kushida Shrine and the Gion Machi Junction in Hakata.
Kamakura government was abolished in May 1333, due to the attack lead by a general Nitta Yoshisada. The movement of destroying the government however started earlier on March 13th of the same year. It was Emperor Godaigo, who encouraged generals to overthrow the central government. General Kikuchi Taketoki from Higo Koku, that is now Kumamoto prefecture, decided to attack Chinzei Tandai government office after responding to the emperor’s request. His attempt failed, but the chinzei tandai’s official Houjo Eitoki was later defeated by troops lead by generals such as Dazai shonisadakiyo, Ootomo sadamune and Shimazu Sadahisa on May 25th, three days after the fall of Kamakura Government.
However, the Kemmu Restration started by emperor Godaigo failed after two years and was replaced by the Ashikaga shogunate (1336– 1575).
This is the beginning of the lingering conflicts between Muromachi Bakufu Government lead by Ashikaga Takauji who backs the Emperor of Northern Court and the Emperor Godaigo of Southern Court.
The impact of the conflict severely affected Kyushu area, which is located far apart from the hot spot as well. It resulted in 60 years of political tension between two parties.
This exhibition describes what kind of disturbance Hakata District experienced due to the conflict between Southern and Northern court by showing several ancient documents from our museum collection.
Posted by Takamura